Why do women need a beer fest of their own?
Beer should be gender neutral.
Despite their growing and influential presence in the beer industry, women are still outnumbered and misunderstood as a demographic. The craft beer industry too frequently either ignores or objectifies women, or tries awkwardly to market to women as if women don’t like alcoholic beverages that aren’t diet or frilly.
Through educational sessions, live conversations with women in the industry and the new Betty’s Scholarship, Betty’s Beer Fest aims to change all that. Our event celebrates women flourishing in the craft beer industry in a fashion where women are encouraged to participate. Betty’s wants to give everyone – but especially women – a chance to tap into their love for craft beer, gender aside.
- Women currently account for 25% of total-beer consumption and 37% of craft-beer consumption in the United States.
- Women between the ages of 21 and 34 are drinking more beer than women in other age groups and consume craft beer over the national average, representing 15% of the total consumption.
- Female-owned breweries are popping up every day, and the ratio of female brewers is increasing rapidly.
- Women dominated the 2015 Betty’s Beer Fest, making up 75% of the attendees, almost an exact role-reversal of standard beer fests!
Due to some unfortunate schedule conflicts, we are postponing Betty’s until 2018. We hope to see you then! In the meantime, here’s a look at what we did in 2016:
An integral part of getting women more interested in craft beer is through education. For 2016 we will offer several different educational segments geared towards enhancing knowledge of beer, brewing and the business of craft beer.
Love beer but want to learn more about how to taste and what you are tasting? What makes beer, well beer? What are the best practices for tasting? The class will include a basic overview of how to taste beer, a description of the four basic ingredients of beer and their importance in the brewing process.
Beer Consumer 101
So you just go in to a bar or store and buy the beer you like? Well it’s a little more complicated than that. This class will cover the various forms and packages of beer in the marketplace. Why do some beers need to be kept fresh while others not as much. When can I age beer? How can I best take care of beer? Best practice serving techniques and worst practice techniques as well as basic identification of key off flavors and other consumer considerations.
Taking our education elements a step further, Betty’s has joined forces with the University of Vermont to provide a scholarship for one woman to attend their Business of Craft Beer Certificate Program.
The Business of Craft Beer Certificate Program was developed in collaboration with the Vermont Brewers Association. It is an ideal fit if you are looking for a career change or advancement, or have dreamed about opening your own brewery and want to make it a reality. This program provides industry specific knowledge directly from craft beer experts across the country and aligns perfectly with our goal to provide an avenue through which women can reach equal ground.
Women from around the country can apply for this scholarship, good for the Fall 2016 program, (which starts September 6.) The Application Deadline is Friday, July 15, 2016 and the winner will be notified by email by July 29.
To learn more about the program, click here. To apply, click here!
In an effort to showcase women in the industry who are participating in Betty’s, local TV anchor Brittney Hibbs will conduct interviews during the event. These interviews will give the women in attendance the chance to learn more about the opportunities for women pin the industry. They will also have the opportunity to engage with industry professionals directly.
Each Betty’s Beer Fest ticket comes with a raffle ticket, more will be available for purchase during the event.
- Hops Chemical Symbol Necklace from Nikola Jewelry
- Hops Earrings and Hop Key Chain from Mags Bonham
- Hops Tie from The Tie Lab
- Hops Scarf from The Tie Lab
- Wall Mounted Opener & Cap Catcher from Kingfisher Forge
- Beer Artwork from Ol’ Ye Sign Shoppe
- Beer T-shirt from New Duds
- SIPtemberfest VIP tickets (one pair)
- Hop Jam BIP tickets (one pair)
- Book: Crafty Bastards by Lauren Clark
- Hop Hat from Alena Botanica